The Champs Elysees is one of the main thoroughfares of Paris, which starts from the Arc de Triomphe and ends with the Place de la Concorde. Street for the popularity of tourists takes the same place as, for example, the Eiffel Tower, Arc de Triomphe, Place de la Bastille and other famous sights.
The length of the Champs Elysees is 1915 meters, width – 71 meters.
In Paris, the main attractions are installed webcams. Some overlooking the Champs Elysees. Around the clock online you can see what is happening on the main street of the city. It is always crowded and lively.
Champs Elysees: name and history
The name of the Champs Elysees dates back to ancient Greek mythology. “Elysium” means “blissful hills.” There the souls of the heroes reached immortality, they found eternal peace and happiness.
The Champs Elysees have become a kind of paradise on earth – a beautiful landscape, many flowers around, the unusual architecture of palaces. This is what makes tourists come to the Champs Elysees again and again.
For the first time on the Champs Elysées in Paris is mentioned in the XVI century. Previously, there was a marshland. Kings and nobles came to these places to hunt ducks.
In 1616, by the decree of Marina Medici, three avenues of elms appeared there. Under Louis XVI, a pedestrian road was built from the Tuileries castle to the Versailles castle. The area around drained, planted trees. Later the road was strengthened, and carriages began to ride across it. In the XVIII century, the road was extended to the Square of the Stars, and then to the Neuilly Bridge. By the way, from 1789 the street got its modern name – Champs Elysees. It is worth noting that the surroundings of the Champs Elysées in those days were almost deserted and unsafe, so in 1777 a guard post appeared there.
We will refund 4% of the cost of booking on booking.com
Cashback 4% from any booking on booking.com. Withdrawals to a bank card, PayPal, Yandex.Money. Payments to any countries.
In 1828, the Champs-Elysées became part of the municipality of Paris. Gradually, the territory around them is starting to be landscaped.
Already at the end of the 20th century, the Champs Elysées took on a modern look. There, the Tour de France cycling race, which is known to the whole world, ends every two years. Every year, on July 14, parades are held in honor of Bastille Day, and on November 11, events commemorating the anniversary of the end of the First World War.
Plan of the Champs Elysees
From the Place de la Concorde to the Round Square there is a walking park, which is 700 meters long and 300 meters wide – 400 meters. The park is divided by alleys into squares:
on the north side – the square of ambassadors (the name is associated with hotels built for diplomats and ambassadors) and the Elysian square (it is located in front of the Elysian Palace);
on the south side is the Ledoyen Square (this name was given to the restaurant that is located at this place), the large square of games or holidays (there are the Small and the Big Palaces).
The pedestrian area of the Champs Elysées ends with a Round Square. Further restaurants, shops, banks, offices, cinemas and other institutions follow. The end point of the Champs Elysées is the Star Square.
Sights of Champs Elysees
If you walk along the Champs Elysées, you can see several main sights of Paris: the Arc de Triomphe, the Elysee Palace, the Grand and Small palaces and others.
The Stars Square is the largest in Europe Triumphal Arch, created on the initiative of Napoleon I Bonaparte.
Designed the Arc de Triomphe architect Jean Shalgren. However, during his lifetime, the arch was not completed. The project was continued under the emperor Louis-Philippe. Engaged in the construction of the arch architect Abel Bleu. Its opening took place in 1836.
By the way, in the Arc de Triomphe there is a museum, and upstairs there is an observation deck with a beautiful view of the Champs Elysees.
The building was built in the years 1718-1722. Engaged in the project architect Armand-Claude Mollet. Later, the palace was purchased by Louis XVI for his favorite Madame de Pompadour.
During the second reign of Napoleon I, the Elysée Palace became a government building. Now it is the residence of the President of France.
Big and Small palaces
They were built in the period from 1897 to 1900 and were used as exhibition halls. They were erected to the World Exhibition, which opened in Paris in 1900.
After the closing of the exhibition, which lasted seven months, the Museum of Painting was opened in the Small Palace, where paintings by Rubens, Rembrandt, Gauguin, Manet and other artists became regular exhibits. Also on the territory of the Small Palace there is a winter garden, a swimming pool, a cafe, a restaurant.
In the Grand Palace are constantly held mass events – a meeting with artists, exhibitions of contemporary painters, fashion shows.
Place de la Concorde
The second largest area in France. Its length is 360 meters and its width is 210 meters.