Tokyo Palace and the Museum of Contemporary Art in Paris
Tokyo Palace (Palais de Tokyo) is located in Paris in the 16th arrondissement at 13, Avenue du President Wilson Avenue of President Wilson. The palace building was built to the Paris World Exhibition in 1937. At that time, Tokyo Avenue, the name of which gave the name to the palace, passed alongside it. However, in 1945 this avenue was renamed to New York Avenue. Therefore, this building is now sometimes referred to as the Palace of New York and Tokyo.
The building of the palace is rather large, it has two wings facing the Seine, which are connected by an elegant column. The Center for Contemporary Art is located in the western wing of the palace, and the eastern wing is occupied by the Museum of Contemporary Art of the City of Paris (Musée d’Art moderne de la Ville de Paris), with the exposition of which we will meet today. (By the way, this is the second major museum of modern art in Paris. The first one, the state one and the more famous one, is located in the center of Georges Pompidou and I have already told about it before).
On the terrace of the Tokyo Palace, a sculpture by Antoine Bourdelle called “France” is installed, and the walls of the building are decorated with two large bas-reliefs by Alfred Janniot, as well as small bas-reliefs by Marcel Gamo. The outer part of the building we will consider after walking through the halls of the museum.
The permanent exhibition of the Museum of Modern Art of the City of Paris is divided into two large sections. The first section includes works of art created in the period 1900-1960. Here you can see the works of the Fauves, Cubists, Dadaists, representatives of the Paris School. Among the most famous names are Marriage, Chagall, Sonya and Robert Delaunay, Derain, Dufy, Leger, Modigliani, Picasso, Natalia Goncharova. In this part of the exhibition, you can also see furniture and various interior items belonging to this era. The second section presents the different trends of modern art and works created after 1960. The museum has two separate rooms dedicated to the work of Matisse and the monumental fresco by Raoul Dufy – “The Light of Electricity”.