The system of the Grand Paris Boulevards
Boulevard des Capucines belongs to one of the links in the Grand Paris Boulevards, which have become the hallmark of the capital of France. It borders the boulevards: Madeleine in the southwest and Italian in the northeast.
Cinema Gomont Opera:
The street with two pedestrian pavements, separated from the road by rows of trees, is located in the second arrondissement of Paris. Its numbering starts from the streets of Louis-le-Grand / Highway d’Anten and ends at the intersection connecting Kapusin, Komarten and Cez.
The length of the Capuchin Boulevard is 440 meters.
Overall width – 35.4 meters.
Wide streets with alleys played an important role in the planning and social development of Paris. At one time, they “healed” the atmosphere of disadvantaged areas and turned out to be the artery through which a completely different life began to flow into the city. Boulevards became a favorite place for carefree walks of Parisians and gave rise to the concept of “boulevard”, associated with frivolity, celebration and not too good taste (novel, press, theater, etc.).
Panorama of Capuchin Boulevard:
Capuchin Boulevard was no exception, but its features allowed the street to become famous throughout the world. It was here that the first cinema session took place, a new art direction was defined – impressionism, and a bohemian atmosphere was formed. In this part of Paris there is a world-famous concert hall, in which every singer dreams of performing. On the boulevard you can meet eminent actors, and on the facades – to see the memorial plaques with the names of celebrities.
The street, like many years ago, remains busy and noisy. People come here just to walk, go shopping, sit in a cafe and plunge into the local flavor.
Paris hotels near Boulevard du Capuchin
The Capuchin Boulevard is obliged by its present name to the monastery of the Order of the Poor Clarice-Capuchin, belonging to the female branch of the Order of the Franciscans. Along the southern part of the street once stretched gardens of the monastery. The monastery itself was demolished in 1806 when laying one of the famous streets of Paris – Rue de la Pe, which bore the name of Napoleon until 1814.
In the film “The Man from Capuchin Boulevard” the erroneous street name is mentioned.
Mention of the boulevard can be traced from 1676. Initially it was called the Lower Shaft, as the strip was laid along the moat of the fortress wall demolished by order of Louis XIV. In the period of the French Revolution, the section of the modern Capuchin Boulevard was part of Cherutti Boulevard.
A large-scale redevelopment of the city by Georges Eugene Osman gave the French capital a modern look. The boundaries of Boulevard des Capucines finally formed in the 1860s, after the division of its Place de l’Opéra line. Construction of buildings continued in the period of the XIX – early XX centuries.
Capuchin Boulevard by Claude Monet
The impressionist painting K. Monet, written in 1873, was first exhibited in the Nadar studio. It presents the Parisians who came out on Boulevard des Capucines for the celebration of the carnival. Currently, the canvas is in the State Museum of Art History. Pushkin. Another work of the artist, which has a slightly different plot, was written in the same year. The work is kept in the Nelson-Atkins Museum of Art.
To the famous paintings “Boulevard des Capucines” are two more paintings:
K. Korovin (1911) – placed in the State Tretyakov Gallery;
Jean Bero – is in a private collection.
A few facts related to the houses of Capuchin Boulevard will help turn the walk into an exciting journey.
No. 2 – cinema Gomont Opera. The object was built in the second half of the XIX century. on the site of the burnt down theater of Vaudeville, replacing, in due time, the Montmorency hotel. The building in the late 1920s. It was bought by Paramount and converted into a Paramount-Opera cinema. In 2007, the complex passed EuroPalaces and received a new name – Gaumont Opéra. The building is located on the corner of Boulevard des Capucines and the streets of Shoze d’Anten.
No. 5 – in the house was a photo studio by Pierre-Louis Pierson, specializing in portrait photography. For 40 years, starting in 1856, his constant model was the Italian Countess di Castiglione (née Virginia Oldoini). For a couple of years she had a love affair with Napoleon III, which allowed a woman to quickly “come out”. Over the years of collaboration, the photographer took more than 400 photographs of Virginia, including her legs and feet. Most of the work is stored today in the American Metropolitan Museum.
Number 8 is the place of residence and death of the composer Offenbach, the idol of the Grands Boulevards. Among his works are the opera classic “Hoffmann’s Tales” and the operetta “Bluebeard”.