Tuileries Garden is located in the heart of Paris. In the west, the Place de la Concorde adjoins the Tuileries Garden, behind which is the Champs Elysees. On the east side of the Garden is the Louvre, and in the north – the Avenue Rivoli, leading to Place Vendome. A sculpture of Joan of Arc is set on the avenue.
On the south side of the Tuileries Garden flows the river Seine. The main alleys of the Garden diverge in different directions of the world.
Several centuries ago, the Garden of Tuileries was adjacent to the Garden, but it was destroyed during the time of the Paris Commune.
Today, the Tuileries Garden is one of the largest regular or “French” parks in Paris, which means strict geometry in the outlines of avenues and tree planting sites. This style of parks prevailed in the 17th century, as people, with the help of architectural design, emphasized the power of man over nature.
In the XV century, the seat of the Tuileries Garden was located outside the walls of the Louvre Fortress, it was the outskirts of Paris. On this outskirts, the dump was adjacent to the place where clay was mined to produce tiles. The tile in French is called “Tuiley” (tuile), from this word comes the name Tuileries. There is a more romantic, but less plausible version that the name of the Tuileries comes from the word “tulip”.
The first park on this site appeared in 1564 by the decision of Catherine de Medici, who wanted to have a new palace surrounded by a garden for walking. The park was laid out in the Italian style, “squares”.
The park area is 25.5 hectares. Length – 920 m. Width – 325 m. The number of plants – more than 3000, of which 1800 trees.
Catherine de Medici, having married the future king Henry II Valois, quickly acquired an ominous reputation. She skillfully cracked down on those who interfered with her, deftly using poisons. Therefore, when Catherine ordered the park to be laid around the castle, many suspected that the poisoner was planning to grow poisonous plants in the beds under the window.
Garden at the Sun King
The head of government under Louis XIV, Jean-Baptiste Colbert decided to hire Andre Lenotre, to restore radical order in the park. The most famous landscape architect of the XVII century, who created many beautiful park areas, turned the refined Italian Tuileries grove into a luxurious French regular park.
Lenotr extended the Tuileries alley on the west side, because he considered nature to be less important than the architect’s plan. So the territory of the garden found a harmonious symmetry. The creative concept of Andre included the emergence of 2 reservoirs, open-air scenes and ground flower beds — low hedges forming a pattern, clearly visible from the windows of the castle.
The updated park became available to the public and gained immense popularity. In addition to attractions and cozy pavilions, visitors were amazed by the unprecedented luxury in the 17th century – public toilets.
In 1871, the Garden suffered: the revolutionaries destroyed the Tuileries Palace, as well as part of the buildings in the park. The new government did not complain about the park, because Napoleon had chosen the Tuileries as his residence in his time. Gradually, the Tuileries Garden was losing popularity and as a result came to a complete desolation.
Its revival began only at the end of the XX century, with the beginning of a large-scale reconstruction of the Louvre.
Tuileries Garden in Art
Artists who rested in a beautiful park were inspired by its beauty and preserved its image on their canvases. One of the most famous images of the Tuileries Garden is the painting “Music in the Tuileries Garden” by Edward Manet, in which the author himself and about 2 dozen of his famous contemporaries are captured among the lush natural beauty. Among them are the poet Baudelaire, the composer Offenbach, the critic Gautier and others.
Other paintings are also known: The Tuileries Garden by Jean Vuillard, Carrousel Square, Tuileries Gardens by Camille Pissarro and Noon in the Tuileries Garden by Adolf Menzel.
Alexandre Dumas mentioned the Tuileries Garden in his novel The Three Musketeers.
In the cycle of piano plays by M. P. Mussorgsky “Pictures from an Exhibition,” the third play is dedicated to the garden: “The Tuileries Garden. Quarrel of children after the game.
The Tuileries Garden Today
The garden has not changed much since Lenotra. The classic park stretches along mirror-like reservoirs stretching into perspective and located on the central axis, called the Historic axis of Paris.
Parisians and guests of the city like to come to the garden to take a break from the hustle and bustle of the metropolis, admire the beautiful trees and flowers.
The garden is ideal for walking with children, a romantic date or a photo shoot. All lawns, flower beds and trees of the Tuileries Garden are always perfectly groomed. On the five wide alleys of the garden there are many sculptures and stone elements.
Statues in the Tuileries Garden
In addition to beautiful plants, the Tuileries Garden is filled with many sculptures. Most of them are marble and bronze copies of the sculptures, but there are also originals who arrived in the garden from Versailles and the Marley Palace.